Sunday, March 6, 2011

You are what you eat... what about where you eat?

I am not a big carnivore, but I do like to enjoy a good piece of meat every once in a while. I try to avoid processed meat because, first of all, you cannot call that meat! At best, that used to be meat; in reality, it was mostly parts of animals no decent human being would wanna eat... so they made it into something that looks like food; something you feel comfortable putting in your mouth. Second of all, I do have a strong suspicion that humans are, by design, not carnivores. Don't get me wrong - I am by no means ready to give up meat yet, but if I do the "sin" of eating it, I prefer eating real meat. You know - if you're doing something wrong, make sure you're doing it right :D

Maybe someday I will give up meat, but I don't wanna force myself for the wrong reasons... Have you ever seen those pale lifeless people in the "healthy" part of your grocery store? Those are the people I believe are eating "healthy food" for the wrong reasons, ending up losing their health...


I was wondering if the places we choose to eat at also play a role in our health. You can see the connection: chopping meat - bacteria on knife - cutting some vegetables - eating these vegetables uncooked - bacteria infection.

Well, if you live in Columbia, Missouri, you can check how well your favorite place is doing on health: inspections: http://gocolumbiamo.com/webapps/cfforms/health/health_inspections.cfm

Now, I was lucky - my favorite places are not doing bad. But the question is: would I stop eating there if they had bad results? Or is it like the meat/no-meat dilemma (or alcohol/no-alcohol) - even if I know it's bad for health, I keep doing the unhealthy thing...

Which reminds me of this lecture...



Do you think we can address unhealthy behavior with Sinek's ideas? Are we approaching unhealthy eating habits (and other bad habits) from the wrong perspective?

.

No comments:

Post a Comment